There was a time when most people would turn their nose up at the idea of a salad being a meal, but times are changing, and we are now more aware than ever how traditional meals are too heavy and lead to obesity.
I'd like you to consider a ‘Everything Salad' to be the perfect, quick and guilt-free meal. Sure, there are plenty of ways to take a salad and make it fattening, but that's not what we want to do. By taking a big bowl of fresh greens and topping it with lean protein, colorful veggies and a light, homemade dressing – you've got yourself the perfect meal!
Here's what you need:
- Dark leafy greens (spinach, arugula, kale)
- Lean protein (chicken, turkey, lamb, hard boiled egg)
- Colorful veggies, chopped (bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini)
- Fresh Herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, mint)
- Homemade dressing (see recipe below)
- Raid your fridge for fresh, organic produce and lean, cooked protein. Add in some fresh veggies and chopped herbs and mix together with a simple, homemade dressing. There you have it, the perfect meal!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- Stevia to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and pepper
- In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, stevia, Dijon, salt and pepper.